About

Brown Tim 217px bTim Brown is CEO and president of IDEO. He frequently speaks about the value of design thinking and innovation to business people and designers around the world. He participates in the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, and his talks Serious Play and Change by Design appear on TED.com.

An industrial designer by training, Tim has earned numerous design awards and has exhibited work at the Axis Gallery in Tokyo, the Design Museum in London, and the Museum of Modern Art in New York. He takes special interest in the convergence of technology and the arts, as well as the ways in which design can be used to promote the well-being of people living in emerging economies.

Tim advises senior executives and boards of Fortune 100 companies and has led strategic client relationships with such organizations as the Mayo Clinic, Microsoft, PepsiCo, Procter & Gamble, and Steelcase. He is a board member of the Mayo Innovation Advisory Council and the Advisory Council of Acumen Fund, a nonprofit global venture fund focused on improving the lives of the poor. Additionally, he writes for the Harvard Business Review, The Economist, and other prominent publications. His book on how design thinking transforms organizations, Change by Design, was released by HarperBusiness in September 2009.

13 responses to About

1. Hi Tim. I’m writing from Creative Bloq (www.creativebloq.com), the design blog from the makers of Computer Arts magazine. We love your blog and I wondered if you’d fancy writing us a guest post – maybe an opinion piece like this – http://www.creativebloq.com/branding/discover-how-brands-can-beat-digital-autism-11121318

We could provide links back to your site, some essential Google juice and lots of love from the professional designer community. Let me know your thoughts :)

2. Alexandra Greenhill January 29, 2013 at 5:15 pm

I am a co-founder and CEO of a startup in Canada called myBestHelper and a huge fan of your writing. (Also – am a volunteer school board trustee and just found your toolkit – excited to read it!).

I was wondering of you have considered creating an email subscription to your blog as I would like to receive alerts when new posts are uploaded.

3. Lennard Taylor June 10, 2013 at 10:14 am

Hello Tim,

I am a young designer who has never been formally trained. My main focus has been fashion design however my brain doesn’t seem to shut off. I am currently working on some innovative collaborations with Architects, new style bicycle design with my main focus being clothing design. I am currently in the CYBF program (Canadian Youth Business Foundation) for my fashion business, in this program you are appointed a mentor/adviser. After meeting several times over the past few months this adviser has labelled me an “idea” man, and has suggested I reach out to you for guidance. I am struggling to understand where and how to bring my ideas to market, perhaps working in an organization such as your is a good fit? Perhaps linking up with someone or some company to give my ideas to run with is best?

I know that whatever I do I will continue to be passionate and positive about my path in life/design. Would you consider taking 5 minutes in your schedule to speak with me? I would GREATLY appreciate your insight into the world of design.

Thank you very much and I hope you make it an amazing day,
    Lennard

4. Rufus Blauert July 1, 2013 at 12:55 am

Hi,

I had found this video to the new theme “BioThinking”. Maybe you want to write about this one :)

5. We are a Mexican speakers agency, looking to contact Tim Brown to give a lecture in Mexico city in November. We need to know his fee and his requirements.What would be the best way to get in touch?
    We look forward to hearing from you soon.

6. ( This question was meant for “The Next Big Thing In Design Is…” post) In regards to the question posed, I can say that I am not sure how design will evolve in the future. But I want to tell you how I think design SHOULD evolve. I believe that designers, or more aptly named: Inventors, should return to their roots. Instead of being influenced by economics where inventors will create things that will eventually become obsolete, so in turn the consumer is forced to purchase their newest “creation”. What inventors should do, like Tushar said, is design something that will last generations. I don’t believe that I need to list any items, but take a look around the room you are in now. If you really think about it, a lot of the inventions in the last few decades have been designed halfway. As much as I love Steve Jobs for his innovation, how many iPod’s have there been now? Unfortunately, people need to make a living so this continuation of obsolete products is necessary, without that factor I believe we as a people would be able to accomplish so much more. If anyone actually read this, thank you, I know this isn’t the most intellectual comment ever ( I am still in High School), but I do appreciate it. All my life I have loved innovation and wanted to change the world, but never had the platform to do it on. Getting to work at IDEO would be my dream job. But anyways, that’s my two cents, once again thanks.

7. Hi Mr Brown,
    I’m an avid learner and practitioner of human centered design thinking, a product designer by education. I have been inspired on several occasions by IDEO and IDEO.org’s path breaking work in this domain. Having learnt several methods from IDEO’s HCD toolkit and the recent +Acumen course.

I have recently started my own professional practise, and I had a question for you: Is the phrase “human-centered” IDEO’s intellectual property or can it be used by anyone to describe their work? Why I ask is, I’d like to call the work I do “human centric consulting”. Not that I’d like to make anything my intellectual property. I believe language must belong to everyone.

Looking forward to a response,
    Thanking you,
    Adhirath Bali

8. alexandrina dodsworth October 1, 2013 at 6:53 am

Good afternoon,

I am a final year student from Belfast, Northern Ireland currently studying design for visual communications/graphic design & illustration. Design is a huge passion of mine.

I have a few quick questions and would be extremely appreciative and insightful to hear your thoughts on the broader topic of ‘Transforming design begins with transforming yourself’.

1. Is transforming your attitude of how you approach you work key in producing a good outcome? Can happiness alone enhance and develop your approach top design?

2. How important is your interaction with the design process. What have you learnt from this throughout the years as a designer. How heavily does design education affect your design work?

3. How important is networking to a designer? Has becoming part of the design community developed your approach to your work? Do you feel it is important to have a role in the wider designer family?

4. How important is self reflection and processing your develop to you? Do you use methods like notebooks or blogs to record your development and how has this developed how you work?

5. Has becoming a designer transformed your general lifestyle? If so how? Are there any particular parts of your lifestyle outside work that you feel have heavily contributed to your thought process and attitude as a designer. Eg, going to the gym, fishing, music, cooking, social events outside design etc?

If you have any questions at all, I would be more than happy to answer them?

Thank you very much for your time and I look forward to hearing your views and thoughts on the topic!

Regards,

Alexandrina Dodsworth

9. Hello,

You have great content here, and a lot of knowledge. Have you thought about hosting a webinar? I would participate. You should check out http://www.liveninja.com.

Hope you do.

Camila

10. Giselle Araujo April 8, 2014 at 6:18 am

Hello Tim,
    My name is Giselle and I’m the UX Team Lead of Nokia Institute of Technology in Brazil.

I’m wondering if you would accept invitation for speaking in our company. (of course, as a paid service).
    We are a team of around 20 multidisciplinary designers, but my main goal is to bring you to talk to our directors and other managers. They are who needs to listen about Design thinking most.

Would you be available for a speak or a workshop anytime this year? The sooner the better, for sure! :)

Best Regards,
    Would you be available for a speak or a workshop?

11. Hi Tim,
    I’m trying to source a high-res image for an article by Bruce Snaddon for Art South Africa magazine. It’s the image of the OPEN IDEO Website ( from the post “Nurture Your Design Courage, One Challenge At a Time”December 18, 2012). Would you be able to assist me with this?
    Many Thanks,
    Siobhan

12. Claudia Radau May 9, 2014 at 3:10 am

Hello,

My name is Claudia Radau and I handle the PR for Inky Deals, one of the leading deals websites in the design community.

I’ve contacted you last month about promoting one of our best-selling products. I’d be very excited to collaborate with you, because your blog is one of the first my manager showed me when I started working here.

I’m trying to get the word out about our biggest bundle, The Big Bang Bundle: $14,979 worth of Top-Quality Resources – From $49. Would you be kind enough to post an article about it, for your usual fee of course? I’m sure your visitors will
    love it.

As a ‘Thank you’ for your trouble, here’s a coupon for your own free copy of the bundle: BIGBANG79. Please take note that it will expire on June 7th.

Looking forward to hearing from you,
    Claudia Radau
    claudia@inkydeals.com

13. Gastón Vizziano May 22, 2014 at 11:13 am

How about IDEO in Uruguay, south america?